Our monthly meeting scheduled for Wednesday June 1, 2016 has been postponed until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank you to all who attended our 2nd Annual Mercer County Reentry Conference on Saturday May 28th. The event was a huge success and we look forward to seeing everyone next year for the 3rd Annual Mercer County Reentry Conference!
On Saturday January 30, 2016 there will be a free criminal record expungement workshop located at 65 Prospect Street Trenton, NJ 08618. The event will be between the hours of 10:00am and 2:00pm. Please call (609)392-1224 no later than January 27, 2016 to register. Clean Slate Expungement Workshop 2016
Mercer County Community College began their spring semester on Tuesday January 19th. It is still possible to register for ten week classes, which begin on February 22, 2016. The college offers a culinary arts degree program at their West Windsor campus and a non-credit culinary program in Trenton. The Trenton program is eight weeks in length.
Trenton Area Soup Kitchen (TASK) has a hair stylist offering free hair cuts for individuals seeking employment or attending important events. Contact Julie Janis at (609)695-5456 x104 for more information.
A local action summit for Capital City My Brother’s Keeper will be held on January 27, 2016 at Pentecostal Assembly of God Church 50 N. Clinton Ave. Trenton, NJ at 4pm-7pm. All are invited to attend.
Our October monthly meeting was held on October 7, 2015. The following items were announced:
- On October 30th a substance abuse/women and violence symposium will be held at Trenton Housing Authority between the hours of 11:00am and 4:00pm.
- A resource fair on expungements will be held at Donnelly Homes on October 8th.
- The Division of Mental Health is hosting training on using a trauma-informed lens to promote healing, health and wholeness on October 21st. The event is free. Contact Michelle Madou at 989-6529 to register.
- Gregory Elementary School is hosting a Book and Treat on October 29th and 30th.
- A Better Way is hosting a monthly giveaway of warm food, groceries, and clothing as well as free Halloween costumes on October 24th 12-2pm at 416 Bellevue Ave. The event will be outdoors and flyers will be sent out soon.
- Presentation by Volunteers of America: Pat McKiernan- Pat described Volunteers of America. The organization provides residential community release programs, parole programs, mental health services, shelter care programs, transitional housing for men, veteran services, etc. They are partnering with Helping Arms to provide services in Trenton. These services will include family support advocates, job development, financial assistance, and employer assistance. They will be present in county correctional facilities 60 days pre-release. They will not be serving individuals who are on parole or probation. They hope to have all services fully running by the end of the month. Members may contact James Dorsey about referring their clients to the program. They have a MOU infrastructure so clients and partner organizations know what information is releasable.
- CVS is now offering Narcan over the counter.
- MCRTF’s new SmartBook app called Square Two is almost complete.
- The Sentencing Reform and Corrections Act which is currently be considered by the Senate. The legislation would provide judges with greater sentencing discretion for low level drug offenses, recalibrate sentencing for drug offenses, and target violent offenders.
Please click here for a list of member announcements from the September meeting.